Please welcome Mandy of Living Peacefully with Children. Read to the bottom for her bio. Today I share with you Mandy's Top 10 list of reasons to leave our sons intact. This post was originally published on her own blog.
- 80% of the world's male population is intact.
- It is easier to clean an intact infant's penis than to deal with open wounds in a diaper which is routinely filled with urine and feces.
- Foreskins are functional, protecting the glans while containing sensitive nerve endings and blood vessels.
- It is a parent's duty to protect his/her child. Circumcision is painful.
- Pain and shock from circumcision disrupt bonding, breastfeeding, and sleep patterns in newborn infants.
- Complications include infection, abnormal bleeding, removal of excessive amounts of skin, loss of part or all of the glans, urinary issues, and death.
- It is illegal in the United States to circumcise a female against her will or who has not reached an age of majority. Circumcising infant males is discriminatory.
- There is NO medical benefit to routine circumcision. Removal of the foreskin does not prevent STDS. It does not lessen the chance of developing penile cancer.
- Once done, it cannot be undone.
- If it isn't your body, it's not your decision to make.
Circumcision is a deeply personal decision. Let's leave the decision to the person who owns the penis. Say NO! to routine infant circumcision.
Mandy is married to her best friend and is a stay-at-home-mom to their four wonderful children. She holds multiple degrees in the sciences and music and is a self-proclaimed research fanatic. Her love of learning plays a large role in her unschooling journey with her family and her volunteer involvement with various homeschooling and parenting groups. You can find her at Living Peacefully with Children, where this post was originally published.